Sunday, June 29, 2008

Violation and Failure

As my friends all surely know by now, my home was broken into on Wednesday, while I was at work. there was a bit of a mess, but it seemed like the only things they took were DVDs and a home theater receiver. It didn't occur to me, as I looked around at open drawers and closets and knocked-down shelves, that I should look through all the closed drawers, cupboards, etc. I looked for certain things... birth certificates, important papers, anything someone could use for ID theft. That's what the police told me to look for, and it was all there.

Well, today I was doing a bit of cleaning, putting away some clothes in my dresser, and it hit me. There, in the dresser drawer, where I saw them nearly every day... I didn't see my grandmother's rings. Just a simple set; a plain gold band, and a pretty little gold ring with two yellow diamonds and a ruby, my mother's birthstone, installed after my grandmum lost one of the original diamonds. She never took the rings off... working, gardening, it didn't matter. She never wanted to lose them. They were all she had of her late husband. They, and a coin collection, were all I had of her.

It hurt to lose the DVDs, I hated the feeling that someone had violated my home and gone through my things. But now, this is horrible. These are irreplaceable. I feel as if I failed my grandmother by not keeping them safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment