Sunday, July 19, 2009

So I had this nightmare Saturday night...

I opened my eyes, and found I was standing in a big underground chamber. There were six other people, men and women, standing with me, in a sort of semicircle, about 40 feet across. The room was dimly lit, as if from torches, or fires, which I could not see. I felt tired and sore, as if I had been beaten. I tried to sit down, but could not. There was a steel collar around my neck, with chains attached. Those chains were attached to the ceiling of the chamber, and were too short to allow me to sit. All seven of us had the same collar and chains. We all looked weak, tired and dirty. I tried to speak to the others, but could only manage a grunt or a moan. I had no words. The others were the same.

There was the sound of a heavy steel door being opened. Mechanical latches, metal screeching on metal giving the impression of a huge thick door. Then there was the sound of shuffling feet, and chains being dragged on the stone floor. Out of the shadow in front of us came this huge animal. In size, it was larger than an elephant, but had more of a lizard's body. It had the same collar we all wore, and chains dragging behind it. It hissed and looked us over. It sniffed at the four people to my right, then puffed up a chamber on the front of its throat. It quickly collapsed the chamber, blowing a sort of foamy spit at the people to my right. A little spray hit the two on the outside of the group, but the two in the center were nearly covered. Their grunts and moans became blood-curdling screams, as their skin blistered and peeled where the creature's froth had landed. The beast advanced toward the two, now hanging by their collars, appearing lifeless. It closed its jaws around the head of the person three positions to my right and bit it cleanly off. It took another few bites off the corpse, then repeated its technique with the other victim that hung two spots over.

The creature turned and looked at the three of us on the other side of the circle. Again, it puffed up its throat chamber, and blew froth in our direction. A wider spray this time. The woman two spots to my left got doused on both legs, and collapsed screaming, hanging by her collar, almost supporting her weight on her knees. The man to my immediate left got sprayed in his face only, and silently slumped toward the ground. It took a moment to realize that my chest was covered. Searing pain ran through me, as the giant lizard came closer to me and sniffed at my burning, bubbling flesh. As it got closer and bared its teeth, I watched my hands reach to the center of my ribs. My fingers pressed into my own tissue, finding a handhold on each side of my sternum. I gripped both halves of my ribcage and pulled my chest open. A brilliant blue beam of light emanated from the center of my chest cavity, lighting up the chamber, and reflecting as bright white off of the huge creature. It shrieked and tried to back away, but wherever the light hit it, it quickly turned black, and began to turn to ash, right before my eyes.

That's where I woke up...

No comments:

Post a Comment